February 14-20, 2016 is Random Acts of Kindness Week. Today, do something spontaneous to be kind to someone else! Not sure where to start? Here are a few ideas...
- Do your neighbor a favor! Maybe they could use a hand shoveling snow, or maybe you could offer to babysit their kids for a night for free. It doesn't cost anything and would certainly brighten their day.
- Buy a stranger coffee. The next time you're in line at the coffee shop, make someone's day by offering to put their's on your tab.
- Sign up to volunteer. There's nothing quite like giving your time to help someone in need. Maybe it's helping out at a homeless shelter, maybe it's tutoring kids at school near you. In every community there are wonderful people who just need a little of our help, do you have the time to meet them?
- Clean out your house and make a donation to a local charity. If you don't need it, chances are someone else might. Many organizations likely near you collect used but in good condition clothing and other household items.
- Make a donation to your local United Way. In every community, we're working to make sure that all people are able to live a good life. But we need money to fuel this engine, and your generosity and kindness is what makes that possible.
Remember: acts of kindness don't have to be random. They can also be regular and intentional, of course. Volunteering with your United Way is a great way to make kindness part of your every day life. Search volunteer openings through our website.